The Audio Industry Market is chock-full of different kinds of wireless headphones, especially when Apple eliminated the headphone jack from the iPhone in 2016. And all of a sudden, once-niche wireless headphones were thrust into the mainstream.
But aren’t we grateful that these wireless Bluetooth headsets exist? The wired ones would always surprise us more than our Mathematics teachers, with a difficult puzzle to solve when removed from the bag or pockets, all entangled. Bluetooth headphones have the benefit of being wireless that makes carrying them much easier and going wireless means less fumbling with cables.
Headphones are no more just a way to listen to music, they’ve advanced into a wearable device, a way to amplify your smartphone experience. Since the ‘Work-From-Home’ culture has hit our lives, of all the everyday gadgets that influence the quality of life, headphones are near or at the top of the list. We jog and workout in the gym with the headphones on, we work with them on, we take them to bed, we wear them while travelling by cars or trains or planes. Some of us even eat, drink and go to sleep with headphones.
Considering it as an integral part of our lives, it is very important to choose the perfect headphones. Our point here is that a good pair will improve your quality of life. It can be difficult to decode all of the specifications and even more difficult to understand some of the features when you’re new to buying headphones. So go on reading further, we will cut through the confusion, reduce the feeling of analysis paralysis, help you narrow down your choices, and open your eyes and ears with our ultimate headphone buying guide so that you dedicate less time to research and more time to enjoy music.
We have listed down a few factors to be considered while buying the perfect headphones, so let’s get started…
• Sound Quality: It is a myth that wireless headphones cannot provide audio quality as good as wired ones! Wireless or Bluetooth headphones deliver high-quality audio with an excellent punch of bass and treble. The crystal clear stereo sounds of headphones make it a gratifying experience for the users. Go for the ones, where you can feel every beat of the song and transpose you to a different world. Buy headsets with the extraordinary super stereo HD sound, they possess without compromising on the amazing sound clarity! Look for a feature called ‘Passive Noise Isolation’ for an uninterrupted music experience. The aural experience of such headphones create will leave you thinking if this is the first time your ears are exposed to ‘the perfect sound’.
• Range: The sound quality can be affected by the distance between the source and the headphones. If you’re someone who moves around a lot without their phones, a pair of headphones with a good range is necessary. Bluetooth classes vary in their range capabilities: Class 1 Bluetooth (100m), Class 2 Bluetooth (10m), and Class 2 Bluetooth (less than 10m) So go for a pair minimum of Class 2 Bluetooth with a range of 10m. Almost every audio source like mobile devices and laptops has a Class 2 Bluetooth device installed.
• Comfort and Design: It is important to find headphones that are best suited to provide you with hours of comfort because you may end up wearing this all day, all week. On-ear headphones, not too bulky and not too compact as the earbuds, seem to be of perfect size. The on-ear headphones have ear cushions that sit on, rather than around, your ears, which are more comfortable to wear for long hours.
Since on-ear headphones are smaller in size than over-ear type, these headphones are great for use while travelling. Headphones shouldn’t be bulky, causing discomfort, they should be lightweight. Sure, these aren’t quite as pocketable as those tiny in-ears, but look for the designs that include rotating or collapsible hinges for storage and adjustable headband. On-ears also house large drivers for accurate audio reproduction and bass response.
• Microphone: Sounding good (enough) to the other party is important. If your voice doesn't come through clearly, and unnecessary sounds aren't filtered out, you need to keep looking. High-quality headsets using high-quality noise-cancelling microphone headphones will lower the background noise, letting your caller hear your voice more clearly. This is important, because the clearer your voice is, the less information needs to be repeated, and your communication will be smooth. Do voice testing for this if required, you can do it by calling a friend and checking if the conversation is clear, audible, and without disturbances at both ends. Check indoor and outdoor volume levels, and how understandable the voices are in different situations.
• Battery Life: Generally, the battery life is associated with the size of the headphones, the bigger the headphones, the longer the battery life. So being a little larger, on-ear headphones have some leftover space, where the batteries are stuffed, hence the longer battery life. You may be able to use some wireless headphones while they are charging, but they will simply not be wireless anymore. The battery life of 8 to 10hrs on a full charge is recommendable and is to be looked for while buying headphones as the batteries of the wireless headsets tend to drain faster.
• Controls: Most wireless headphones have controls on the earpieces themselves. Some of them are protruding but many modern ones have touch controls instead. The controls and style are far more important than we might think. Many of us opt for style rather than functionality and it all depends on your needs. For instance, some of the controls might be suitable for gym-goers, while others might be perfect for that particular cause like calling.
If you are on the move and you get a call or working out while songs on shuffle and want to change the song? You don’t need to put an effort to reach your smartphone and then pick up the call or change the song! You can connect on the call or play the song with just a push of the button on the headset! Wireless Headphones are freedom at their best whether you are walking down the street or around the home trying to get chores done, the wireless freedom of these exciting headphones will not limit you anymore. It gives you the power to be cord-free and hands-free giving you the ultimate mobility! So now you don’t have to worry anymore about the earbuds falling off your ears every time the cable comes into contact with some object.
• Warranty: It is extremely necessary to take the warranty and return policy into consideration before finally deciding on your purchase of headphones. If you can try the headphones on first, that would be great to test the build quality. If you’re planning to buy online, make sure to get informed of the manufacturer’s return policy as well as its customer service. Look for a headphones provider that gives at least a 5 months replacement warranty.
We hope you are good to go knowing these specifications of the Wireless Headphones before buying the best. Other features apart from the listed ones are that you might care about are noise-cancelling headphones, the other being the colour themes or the style of the pair of headphones according to your usage. For this, you can explore a huge range of headsets on online shopping websites.